HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

The Change in Rhythm Keeps Me Alive

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Chelsea Dagger

Chelsea Dagger

The Change in Rhythm Keeps Me Alive - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Change in Rhythm Keeps Me Alive   The Change in Rhythm Keeps Me Alive - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 12, 2011 9:39 am

"Well," she said with an unashamed confidence, "You do every once in a while. But," she sighed, "if it's not auto-tuned pop crap, nobody wants it."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Charles Bartholomew Bass

Charles Bartholomew Bass

PostSubject: Re: The Change in Rhythm Keeps Me Alive   The Change in Rhythm Keeps Me Alive - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 12, 2011 9:53 am

Chuck nodded and looked around the bar once more. "Most of our clientele are older people who are looking to escape the modern world." He pointed over to an elderly gentleman with a cane. "That's Hank. He's one of our regulars. He served in World War II and received the Navy Cross. He tells some damn good stories about the war but they're mainly about the USO parties he went to."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Chelsea Dagger

Chelsea Dagger

PostSubject: Re: The Change in Rhythm Keeps Me Alive   The Change in Rhythm Keeps Me Alive - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 12, 2011 10:39 am

Her smile softened as he spoke about the older man. "I'll have to buy him a drink and see if he'll tell me a tale or two." She looked over the crowd before turning back to him. "Mind pointing me to your piano man?"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Charles Bartholomew Bass

Charles Bartholomew Bass

PostSubject: Re: The Change in Rhythm Keeps Me Alive   The Change in Rhythm Keeps Me Alive - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 12, 2011 10:46 am

Chuck grinned mischievously. "You're looking at him. Every Wednesday night, I play the piano to give the band a night off. I play because it saves me from having to hire a piano player in addition to the band."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Chelsea Dagger

Chelsea Dagger

PostSubject: Re: The Change in Rhythm Keeps Me Alive   The Change in Rhythm Keeps Me Alive - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 12, 2011 11:00 am

She looked at him with a quirked eyebrow, a little impressed. "You play as a hobby or because you have to," she asked.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Charles Bartholomew Bass

Charles Bartholomew Bass

PostSubject: Re: The Change in Rhythm Keeps Me Alive   The Change in Rhythm Keeps Me Alive - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 13, 2011 9:19 am

"A little of both." Chuck responded honestly. "I like to play but I also play because it keeps me from having to spend more money on a piano player. But mostly, it's because I enjoy it. It's kind of an escape."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Chelsea Dagger

Chelsea Dagger

PostSubject: Re: The Change in Rhythm Keeps Me Alive   The Change in Rhythm Keeps Me Alive - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 13, 2011 9:33 am

"That, I understand," she said with a nod. Singing was a way to get out of the world.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Charles Bartholomew Bass

Charles Bartholomew Bass

PostSubject: Re: The Change in Rhythm Keeps Me Alive   The Change in Rhythm Keeps Me Alive - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 13, 2011 9:40 am

"Sometimes I feel so old." Chuck confessed with a sigh. "I just don't fit in this world. I belong to an older world."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Chelsea Dagger

Chelsea Dagger

PostSubject: Re: The Change in Rhythm Keeps Me Alive   The Change in Rhythm Keeps Me Alive - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 13, 2011 9:45 am

She could empathize with the out of place feeling. The urge to drink again was starting to kick up so she pushed herself from the bar. "Well," she said, casting a sure grin over her shoulder at him, "come on, old man. Let's make everyone else feel out of place, shall we?"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Charles Bartholomew Bass

Charles Bartholomew Bass

PostSubject: Re: The Change in Rhythm Keeps Me Alive   The Change in Rhythm Keeps Me Alive - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 13, 2011 9:46 am

Chuck grinned and headed to the piano. "Do you have your music?" He asked.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Chelsea Dagger

Chelsea Dagger

PostSubject: Re: The Change in Rhythm Keeps Me Alive   The Change in Rhythm Keeps Me Alive - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 13, 2011 9:53 am

She tugged a booklet for 'As Time Goes By' out of her bag, holding it out to him. "Start with this one and work our way through or do you want a few?"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Charles Bartholomew Bass

Charles Bartholomew Bass

PostSubject: Re: The Change in Rhythm Keeps Me Alive   The Change in Rhythm Keeps Me Alive - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 13, 2011 9:56 am

"Which ever's easiest for you." Chuck said. "I know As Time Goes By though. I have it memorized. I'm going to have to look at your other sheet music though. I'm sure I'll probably know most of it."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Chelsea Dagger

Chelsea Dagger

PostSubject: Re: The Change in Rhythm Keeps Me Alive   The Change in Rhythm Keeps Me Alive - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 13, 2011 10:15 am

She picked out a few of her favorites and handed them to him. 'Someone To Watch Over Me' was somewhat cliche but it always had struck a chord in her. Then there was the original sheeting for 'Am I Blue?'; no one really knew the first version but she'd always thought it was the best. And 'Good Little, Bad Little You' was just plain fun. "Here. Hope these work."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Charles Bartholomew Bass

Charles Bartholomew Bass

PostSubject: Re: The Change in Rhythm Keeps Me Alive   The Change in Rhythm Keeps Me Alive - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 14, 2011 8:23 am

Chuck looked over the sheet music as he sat down at the piano and nodded. He handed her sheet music back to her and said, "I know all of these."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Chelsea Dagger

Chelsea Dagger

PostSubject: Re: The Change in Rhythm Keeps Me Alive   The Change in Rhythm Keeps Me Alive - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 14, 2011 8:55 am

Shrugging, she gently placed the sheet music back in her bag. Even if he screwed up, she knew she could carry the songs. "All right then. Where do you want me, old man," she asked with a coy smile. It was a disrespectful, horrible nickname but it just slipped out.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Charles Bartholomew Bass

Charles Bartholomew Bass

PostSubject: Re: The Change in Rhythm Keeps Me Alive   The Change in Rhythm Keeps Me Alive - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 14, 2011 9:05 am

Chuck raised his eyebrows in surprise, but said nothing about what she called him. "Wherever you feel most comfortable is fine. Just make sure that you can be seen. Don't hide behind the piano."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Chelsea Dagger

Chelsea Dagger

PostSubject: Re: The Change in Rhythm Keeps Me Alive   The Change in Rhythm Keeps Me Alive - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 14, 2011 9:38 am

She nodded, setting her bag down behind the piano before moving her way onto the stage. There was a microphone stand but she avoided it. She wouldn't need it to be heard over just a piano. A quick breath to steady herself and she sent him a cocky little nod. "Whenever you're ready."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Charles Bartholomew Bass

Charles Bartholomew Bass

PostSubject: Re: The Change in Rhythm Keeps Me Alive   The Change in Rhythm Keeps Me Alive - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 14, 2011 9:47 am

Chuck began to play one of his favorite songs and waited for her to start singing. He was silently praying that his instincts were right and she was as good as he thought she was.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Chelsea Dagger

Chelsea Dagger

PostSubject: Re: The Change in Rhythm Keeps Me Alive   The Change in Rhythm Keeps Me Alive - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 14, 2011 10:16 am

"You must remember this," she sings, her voice loud enough to carry without being overbearing. "A kiss is still a kiss. A sigh is just a sigh. The fundamental things apply as time goes by." It was as easy as breathing, singing this song. She could hear her grandmother's record of Frank Sinatra playing in her head. "And when two lovers woo, they still say: 'I love you'. On that you can rely, no matter what the future brings, as time goes by."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Charles Bartholomew Bass

Charles Bartholomew Bass

PostSubject: Re: The Change in Rhythm Keeps Me Alive   The Change in Rhythm Keeps Me Alive - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 14, 2011 10:18 am

Chuck smiled to himself as he breezed through the song. His instincts were right and she was a fantastic addition to the club.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Chelsea Dagger

Chelsea Dagger

PostSubject: Re: The Change in Rhythm Keeps Me Alive   The Change in Rhythm Keeps Me Alive - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 14, 2011 10:41 am

He played the song as if he'd been studying it for years, adding little flourishes that she knew weren't in the song but still fit. "Moonlight and love songs - never out of date, hearts full of passion - jealousy and hate," she continued, her eyes sliding over the shadowed faces in the crowd. There was a different feeling to this place than the rest of the bars she'd performed in; it felt better. "Woman needs man - and man must have his mate, that no one can deny." She almost didn't want the song to end. "It’s still the same old story, a fight for love and glory, a case of do or die. The world will always welcome lovers, as time goes by."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Charles Bartholomew Bass

Charles Bartholomew Bass

PostSubject: Re: The Change in Rhythm Keeps Me Alive   The Change in Rhythm Keeps Me Alive - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 14, 2011 10:57 am

Chuck finished up the song and was onto the next. He was pleased with himself for finding such a diamond in the rough. Most of the singers he had hired in the past were cheap and were only after fame. The new girl seemed different and he liked that.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Chelsea Dagger

Chelsea Dagger

PostSubject: Re: The Change in Rhythm Keeps Me Alive   The Change in Rhythm Keeps Me Alive - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 14, 2011 11:15 am

It took her a bar or two to pick up what song he'd started into but luckily, they were just setup bars. "I'm just a woman, a lonely woman, waiting on the weary shore. I'm just a woman who's only human," she takes a small step forward, shifting her hips and giving a small, sad smile to the crowd. "One you should feel sorry for. It was a morning, long before dawn. Without a warning, I found he was gone. How could he do it? Why should he do it? He never done it before."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Change in Rhythm Keeps Me Alive   The Change in Rhythm Keeps Me Alive - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

The Change in Rhythm Keeps Me Alive
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2